Educating the Mind, Body, and Spirit

History

Marquette School began as Sacred Heart School in 1918, under the direction of the Ursuline Sisters. It opened with eighty pupils in grades one through six. In 1920, Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph's Convent in Guthrie, Oklahoma, began operating the school.

In the spring of 1925, a new church was completed to replace Sacred Heart Parish, and it was named "Christ the King." A ninth-grade class was added to the school in 1928 and, in the fall of that year, the Parent-Teacher Association suggested a change in the name of the school to avoid disrespect in the use of the name in association with athletics.

The name "Marquette" was adopted, in honor of Father Jacques Marquette, a 17th-century French missionary and explorer of the Mississippi River.

Over the years, the school expanded to accommodate the growing parish, and by 1932 the twelfth grade had been added. May 1933 marked the first graduating class of Marquette High School, with 22 graduates. Marquette High School closed with the opening of Bishop Kelley High School in 1960.

Benedictine nuns operated Marquette School until 1972. In 1976, the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, Wisconsin, began staffing the school. This relationship lasted until 1983.

Today, Marquette School remains directed by lay administrators working under the supervision of the pastor and administration of the Parish of Christ the King